Thursday 13 May 2010

Tandem Santiago


Tandem School, Santiago, is located in an old mansion on a leafy street of the Providencia district

I have dreamt for some time of learning Spanish and where better than to pick it up in South America. After the earthquake that hit Chile in March, friends and family had worried that it might not be the best time to travel around Chile... Chris and I were adamant that we wouldn't be missing out on this country and decided to reach a happy medium. We would stay put in the capital, Santiago for our two weeks here and take Spanish lessons - or at least, I would. Chris had decided to 'learn Spanish on the streets' whereas anyone who knows me understands my love of formal education! I couldn't wait to get started and sit in the classroom again, this time on the other side of the desk.

The lessons were packed full of grammar and activities and lots of homework - I was in heaven. I loved the routine I had for two whole weeks - arriving at school at 9.30, lessons until 1pm, a long lunch until 2.30 (when Chris would sometimes come to meet me) and more Spanish until 4pm. Good stuff. I soon realised however that two weeks is not nearly enough time to learn how to speak and understan Spanish, especially as grammar was the main focus. Luckily I have another three months in Spanish-speaking countries to 'learn on the streets' which I am looking forward to. I've a long way to go until I can have a conversation though - French keeps pouring out!

Chris: Steph loves having a daily routine - one that always starts with cornflakes. Cereal may be 'cereal' in Spanish, but I tried to label everything else in the apartment with Spanish vocabulary post-its.

After one week of wandering around alone as a tourist, Chris decided he too would join the school and take one week of Spanish. We met a lot of fun people and it was great to have a little 'permanence' even if it was just for two and a half weeks. This is the longest we've ever stayed in one place since August, after all and it was good for us. Especially having a real routine again.

Our new friends from Tandem School!

No comments:

Post a Comment