Tuesday 11 May 2010

China plus Spain equals Chile

We´ve only been here for a few days but already I can say with confidence that Chilean people are some of the most friendly we have met on our trip. Their patience matches that of the Chinese we experienced back in August. Since China, we have not met people who have been friendly and patient without fail - until now.


Unlike in Spain or the rest of Europe where, even if it´s limited to a few words, people do tend to speak a little English, here in Chile it´s like China: people want so much to understand you but our mutual ignorance for each others language makes that so difficult. Luckily for us, people are so kind and patient. You don´t get this in too many places.

In addition to such ´Chinese-friendliness´, we also see a lot of Spain here - for more obvious reasons, it´s true. It´s not only the sunlight, palm trees and the dust but the people do look Spanish (again, for obvious reasons) and have adopted similar mannerisms - they are incredibly smiley people even if they are a little less animated than the Spanish when they speak. Before I read up on Chile I hadn´t been sure what to expect in terms of the kinds faces we would see. However, I have learned that we are unlikely to see any indigenous faces here in the capital - we would have to travel further north for that. I haven´t seen one light-haired person yet. Not one blondie. Everyone has dark brown hair; the people here also seem shorter than back in Europe. I obviously stand out but people don´t seem too bothered thank goodness! It´s not like India, that's for sure!

It is these quick observations that have led me after just a few days to (yes, rather tipsily) explain to Chris that...
China + Spain = Chile!

I´m looking forward to spending two weeks in this capital city where hopefully I may be able to communicate a little better with its people by the end of my stay!

No comments:

Post a Comment