Saturday 22 May 2010

The Completo

From Street Dogs to Best in Show

Clip your bag to the table and watch the world go by with a first class hotdog and without worrying about high street bag snatchers.  

I would go as far to say that you are never more than a few doors away from a completo in Santiago.  There are major chains like Don Pepe or Schopdog, independent shops, delis, confeterias and greasy spoon diners on every block.


There is however one address that is the King of the Completo.  Domino's fuente de soda is at Agustinas 1016, opposite Cafe Caribe on this main shopping street.  When I first walked in I wondered what 30 some chefs were doing in the kitchen all yelling orders at each other.  Puzzled, I went back outside to sit on the terrace before one of the many stout waiters in full chef uniforms came to take my order.  I took the Domino Completo which he promptly delivered with a schop of beer.  If a hotdog can be so formally presented, this proves that professional and loyal service do not need to be limited to the white table cloths of restaurants.  It also further proves my point that services in Chile require an astonishing number of employees.


 
The Completo, as elegantly served here, is a hot dog with the works.  The amount of toppings - fresh onion, salsa, mayo and sometimes guacamole - make it a bit of a mouthful.  Add a dollop of mostaza fuerte to add spice... if you can.   It is the beef that makes Domino's by far the tastiest completos in town. The quality of bread and fresh toppings are also in their own league, since let's be honest, most completos manage to be pretty bland even as they are doused in mayo and guacamole. 


Domino's Fuente de Soda
Agustinas, 1016, Santiago
(0)2 673 3541

I think my waiter could tell how much I loved the schop and completo by the frantic scribbling in my moleskine, as he insisted I take his photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment