Sunday 21 March 2010

A top day in Melbourne


My top day in Melbourne would begin right in the heart of things - Federation Square. I happen to really like this epicenter of culture, no matter what some fussy urban critics say. If I’m not meeting a friend under the clocks of Flinder's Street station, I might lay out in the sun and check e-mails for free from a deck chair by the live music from the main stage.

Stop by information here for some seriously cool intel on the urban landscape. They have DIY walking tours, self-guided tour routes, bike maps, and will even arrange a day out with a volunteer greeter who will show you around.

The ideal day carries on through the laneways for an obligatory caffeine stop at one of the thriving cafes. If hunger strikes early, I might dig deeper into Dinkum pies. They have enough recipes to keep you coming back for weeks.

Now I'm still not sure what type of mood I'm in. If not particularly up for museums, I'd check out “Chloe” the famous painting that adorns the Young & Jackson pub walls, to suffice as your cultural fix. Chloe, painted by Jules Josef Lefebvre, was a young Parisienne who eventually committed suicide by cooking herself up a poisonous soup after unrequited love at a party. The painting
used to be hung in the National Gallery of Victoria for three weeks before it was deemed 'unacceptable' and the pub bought it. After this art appreciation head over for a match at the 'G' (Melbourne Cricket Ground) or a mid-day swim at one of the old city bath houses - both very local experiences. But let’s assume you are interested in a bit more tourism and 'culture'. I would be sure to take a free guided tour from one of the many volunteer cosmopolitan ambassadors. Many attractions have daily guided tours that don’t require any pre-arrangements and are well worth being in the right place at the right time. On a rainy day I would go for the parliamentary or town town hall (historical) tour. Chances are though that it’s a beautiful Melbourne day and you would rather hike over to the fantastic botanical gardens tour, or even the Fitzroy gardens walk that includes a walk by Captain Cook’s cottage - brought to Melbourne from Yorkshire in England, piece by piece.


Pelligrini's Espresso Bar

By now I will have worked up a hunger for sure. I'll see what's on the a chalkboard Italian menu at Pelligrini's Espresso Bar on the corner of Crossley and Burke streets. After lunch my confidence may have been re-sparked to explore the edgier Fitzroy neighborhood a few blocks north. I’m really interested in a return visit to the flagship Crumpler
store for a ’million dollar home’ for my camera (as they name their camera cases). You can actually ask them to stitch your own custom
designed messenger bag. A walk around the grafitti artwork of Fitroy could easily be rewarded by a microbrew at Little Creatures. This huge indoor brewpub even has neighborhood bikes for the community. Now no perfect Melbourne day would be complete without a whiz around on the tram. Catch the circle tram anti-clockwise through Victoria Market and the docklands and get off at the Aquarium and Immigration Musuem. I've already over-extended my museum patience for the day and will cross the bridge instead for bargain retail shopping at DFO outlet mall next to
the convention centre. From here I can catch the iconic 96 tram to end the day in St Kilda. If I’m with a buddy I may suggest our first stop be the Belgian beer garden on St Kilda road (requires taking tram 16 instead). Or, past the F1 track in Albert park, enjoy an evening game of lawn bowling at the St Kilda bowling club. Either way I'll eventually carry on to the boardwalk for sunset where Republica serve up an excellent promenade dinner, to be followed by a penguin meet and greet on the pier.






The world famous 96 tram route cruises past the Luna Park and Palais Theatre.

If I’m staying another day in Melbourne, I would definitely hit the Victoria Market, Melbourne Museum and another free tour. Then I'd probably talk some friends into a big group dinner at the Italian Waiter's Club (IWC) that used to serve as a training ground and free diner for local waiters. Tonight it's the perfect casual spot to host cheap and cheerful group dinners with lots of BYO wine (hidden down an alley - reservations required). Why not catch a showing after dark at the rooftop cinema? Or explore the laneway's nightlife? I'll soon come to realize that activities lead to more activities in Melbourne and spiral into a much longer visit than ever expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment