Tuesday 27 October 2009

A few messages from MK Gandhi on India - still words to live by.



While I prate about universal non-violence, my experiment is confined to India. If it succeeds, the world will accept it without effort.

My faith is biggest in the midst of impenetrable darkness.

Today the villages are dung heaps. Tomorrow they will be like tiny Gardens of Eden where dwell highly intelligent folk whom no one can deceive or exploit. The reconstruction of the villages along these lines should not begin right now. The reconstruction of the villages should not be organized on a temporary but permanent basis.

My patriotism is not exclusive, it is calculated not only not to hurt any other nation, but to benefit all in the true sense of the word. India's freedom as conceived by me can never be menace to the world.

The moment you talk to the Indian peasants and they begin to speak, you will find wisdom drops from their lips. Behind the crude exterior you will find a deep reservoir of spirituality. I call this culture.


All faiths are equal. I believe that they are all god-given and I believe were necessary for the people to whom these religions were revealed and I believe that, if only we could all read the scriptures of the different faiths, we should find that they were at bottom all One and were helpful to one another.

My goal is friendship with the world and I can combine the greates opposition to wrong. I have that impict faith in my mission that, if it succeeds - as it will succeed, it is bound to succeed - history will record it as a movement designed to knit all people in the world not as hostile to one another but as parts of one whole.


My life is an indivisible whole, and all my activities run into one another; and they have their rise in my insatiable love of mankind.

My life has been an open book. I have no secrets and I encourage no secrets.

I am not afraid to die in my mission if that is to be my fate.


No comments:

Post a Comment